Friday, December 12, 2014

Short Straw Bride by Karen Witemeyer

Short-Straw Bride (Archer Brothers, #1)Short-Straw Bride by Karen Witemeyer
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Goodreads Summary
No one steps on Archer land. Not if they value their life. But when Meredith Hayes overhears a lethal plot to burn the Archer brothers off their ranch, a twelve-year-old debt compels her to take the risk.

Fourteen years of constant vigilance hardens a man. Yet when Travis Archer confronts a female trespasser with the same vivid blue eyes as the courageous young girl he once aided, he can't bring himself to send her away. And when an act of sacrifice leaves her injured and her reputation in shreds, gratitude and guilt send him riding to her rescue once again.

Four brothers. Four straws. One bride. Despite the fact that Travis is no longer the gallant youth Meredith once dreamed about, she determines to stand by his side against the enemy that threatens them both. But will love ever be hers? Or will Travis always see her merely as a short-straw bride?

My Review
While this is the first book in the Archer Brothers series, it is the last one I have read! That didn't take away from my enjoyment of the book in any way though - in fact, I wondered why I hadn't read it sooner!

Meredith, Travis, the other three Archer brothers, and Meredith's cousin were all great characters whom I enjoyed getting to know. I enjoyed reading about the different family dynamics from the Archer brothers self reliance and focus on family and loyalty to Meredith's missing her parents and living with her complex aunt and uncle and her loving cousin.

Travis and Meredith's connection was very fun to read about. Their attraction was palpable, and the circumstances, events, and communication that went between were the perfect mixture of funny and serious.

I enjoyed the journey that Meredith and Travis traveled in the process of learning to trust in God to work out everything for His good and emphasis on accepting help when we need it, and not blocking everyone else out.

This book made me laugh, cheer, sigh wistfully, and to top it all of it had tense moments where I wondered what would happen next. There is something here for everyone!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments! I will reply to all comments that make a reply form in my mind, so if you have a question, comment, or something to say, feel free to do so!