Thursday, April 24, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our StarsThe Fault in Our Stars by John Green
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The Fault in Our Stars Goodreads Summary
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

Now before everyone starts hating me, I will admit right from the start that I read this book against my will. I had heard about this book so many times, everyone seems to like it, but it just didn't sound like my kind of book; so I promised myself that I would never have to read it. Then for Spring Break my class was given a choice of, maybe, five novels to read over break and three of my friends really liked TFiOS and begged me to read it. So. Therefore. You see how it was against my will to begin with. I expected to hate it. Completely hate it. Every single word of it. While that obviously didn't happen (based on my review) I didn't love it either.

I have mixed feelings about this book and I think that I want to give it a 2.5.

TFiOS did make me laugh and smile at times (against my will of course). It also made me cry a lot, like lay face down on my pillow and cry my eyes out (especially at the end of the book), and cry. It was just so extremely sad. But it also made me want to put it down and not pick it back up or throw it across the room at times. I felt like at times their attitudes were a little much, sometimes hopeless, or maybe slightly unbelievable. Maybe, I as a reader, just have completely different views and opinions and we just clashed - and that's okay too.  There were some things that I liked about Hazel and Augustus and their relationship though. It was sweet, they had great banter at times, their thoughts and love for a book. I also liked some of the language - metaphors, similes, etc. - they were very well written.

That one person (if you've read it, you know who) made me extremely mad)! He had no right!

Since most of you have already read this book I'm going to keep it short. I will say, though, that I found this book to be slightly lacking in hope, which I find very important in books. I guess this just wasn't my type of book and I'm going to stop now before I make all of you TFiOS lovers to mad or make myself cry or get really mad. Feel free to comment if you feel like you want to know what I thought about any particular part in the book, or to complain and argue my review!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments! I will reply to all comments that make a reply form in my mind, so if you have a question, comment, or something to say, feel free to do so!