Thursday, August 7, 2014

The Elite by Kiera Cass

The Elite (The Selection, #2)The Elite by Kiera Cass
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.


My Review
What?! Uh! Ugh! Seriously?! Really?! What?! Then WHAT again! Can I throw this book? Oh wait it's on my Nook, not a good idea! Confused based on my rating? Well let me explain. So many emotions went through me within the pages of The Elite - frustration, happiness, sadness, annoyance, surprise, etc.!
I am going to try really, really hard not to spoil anything in this review, but it's going to be difficult! I am also going to say now, that I do not like love triangles at all, and that they make me mad!

I liked The Selection, I did, and the dresses on the covers of this series are gorgeous. The beginning of The Elite started off well, and was hoping that she had made her decision.
 
Then it took a turn and I felt confused. I'll admit now, that I've been team Maxon from the beginning, but there were at least two places in this book where I almost switched teams! It didn't last long. But still, I can honestly say that I've never had that feeling before - it's not good! I can officially say, though, that I am completely team Maxon, though I STILL wish there wasn't the whole love triangle issue, then there wouldn't need to be teams!
There is a lot of controversy on America's feelings - here is where I stand. I understand America's confusion and indecision, to a point. I mean, before the selection she loved Aspen and thought that she would spend the rest of her life with him. Then once the selection began she thought she would still spend the rest of her life with Aspen. Then she got to know Maxon, and she started to realize that he wasn't what she had imagined. They got to know each other and mutual feelings started to grow, but she wasn't ready to let go of the past. I can imagine that a situation like that would be really difficult - it's hard to let go. But I STILL hate love triangles, and find them extremely annoying, especially when she keeps going back and forth between Maxon and Aspen and playing with their feelings - it's not right.
I can also understand America's feelings that she isn't good enough, especially after the a fore mentioned turn that The Elite took. It seems that America may no longer be the only girl that Maxon has feelings for. That irritated me a little, especially when he didn't really explain anything to America, leaving her to wonder. Yes, I know, she's kind of doing the same thing, but still he could have explained - it's right in front of her! There are some things that bothered me or annoyed me throughout the book, but they were explained and didn't bother me as much at the end, because of some stuff that happened that I'm not going to spoil.
I do have to say that some things that happened in this book also made me become even more team Maxon than I was before (which is like, completely). One of them being that Aspen doesn't seem to have faith in America's capabilities of being a princess.

There were some good things that happened though!

I do like America's personality (except for her indecision), her kindness and compassion, her ability to stand up for what she believes in, etc. She may be a little quick and rash at times, but I think she would make a good princess, and be right for Maxon. She probably has the most determination and wishes the most that things would change. I really don't like the caste system, it's terrible in so many ways. She's lived it, will she have the chance to make a difference.
I really liked getting to know the other characters. The maids are such a great team and support system for America, and I really like getting to know them better in this book. We also go to know Queen Amberly and Silvia a little bit better in The Elite, as well some of the other girls.

There was some of this:

 and
The competition continued. Then!
then,


Many things were discovered and there were so many twists and turns, I could really feel America's confusion and really wished that they would all just straighten things out already! I believe that America has it in her to make changes and make her country better, she just has to find it in herself, decide what she wants (I think she already did, but there could always be more twists), fight for it, and the rest will come.  
There is more that I want to say, but can't without spoiling something, so I guess I need to read The One soon, so I can find out how all of this turns out!


Have you read The Elite? What were your feelings?

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments! I will reply to all comments that make a reply form in my mind, so if you have a question, comment, or something to say, feel free to do so!