Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Where Courage Calls by Janette Oke and Laurel Oke Logan

Where Courage Calls: A When Calls the Heart NovelWhere Courage Calls: A When Calls the Heart Novel by Janette Oke

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Where Courage Calls: A When Calls the Heart NovelGoodreads Summary:
Her courage and her heart will be tested in ways she never expected...
Beth Thatcher has spent her entire life in the safe, comfortable world of her family, her friends, and the social outings her father's wealth provides. But Beth is about to leave it all behind to accept a teaching position in the rugged foothills of western Canada. Inspired by her aunt Elizabeth, who went west to teach school several years ago, and gently encouraged by her father, Beth resolves to put her trust in God and bravely face any challenge that comes her way.
But the conditions in Coal Valley are even worse than she'd feared. A recent mining accident has left the town grieving and at the mercy of the mining company. The children have had very little prior education, and many of the locals don't even speak English. There isn't even a proper schoolhouse. In addition, Beth's heart is torn between two young men--both Mounties, one a lifelong friend and the other a kind, quiet man who comes to her aid more than once.
Despite the many challenges, Beth is determined to make a difference in the rustic frontier town. But when her sister visits from the East, reminding her of all the luxuries she's had to give up, will Beth decide to return to her privileged life as soon as the school year is over?


A special companion story to Hallmark Channel's "When Calls the Heart" TV series(less)

My Review:
Where Courage Calls by Janette Oke and Laurel Oke Logan will captivate readers minds and most of all their hearts. A beautiful book of giving hope and love to those in need, seeking and following God's plan for your life, fulfilling your purpose, and inspiring characters that make a difference. This book is filled with that and so much more.

I was so excited when I saw this book on Netgalley, and realized it was a companion novel the the Hallmark series When Calls the Heart! That series show is my favorite, so I knew as soon as I saw it, that I just had to read it.

The book did not disappoint! I loved how it was different enough from the movie and show to be interesting, but close enough to be connected.

Beth Thatcher was an amazing character, she quickly became one of my favorites. I loved how she was so determined to make a difference, even when the circumstances and situations around her were tougher than she had expected. I also liked that she always wanted to do God's will for her and follow his plan. I was so proud of her when she stood up for what she believed in, even when others thought she couldn't.

There were so many wonderful characters in this book. Frank and Molly, the children Beth taught, the mothers,Jarick, Edward, Philip, the Italian miners. They all played a huge role, and were each inspiring In their own way.

I promise there is something for everyone in this book! Not only inspiration, hope, and love through tough circumstances, but also mystery and relatable characters and problems. You will smile, laugh, possibly cry (I did) hope with these characters, and so much more! These authors definitely have a talent for writing books and characters that are both interesting and inspiring!

I received this book from the publisher and Netgalley for an honest review. I was not required to give a positive review, and all thoughts and opinions are my own.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments! I will reply to all comments that make a reply form in my mind, so if you have a question, comment, or something to say, feel free to do so!