Monday, March 30, 2015

Discovering Sophie by Cindy Roland Anderson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Goodreads Summary
Sophie Kendrick's father has gone missing in the jungles of Costa Rica. Desperate for answers to his whereabouts, she decides to search for him herself. She hires Jack Mathison to guide her through the jungle, but the two of them seem to be at odds from the moment they meet. Sophie finds Jack conceited, sarcastic, and worse, very good-looking. He is totally not her type, so how could she possibly be attracted to him? Likewise, Jack can't wait to be rid of Sophie and her optimistic outlook. Seriously, how could someone be that nice? Jack isn't looking for a relationship, and finds the electrifying chemistry between the two of them completely annoying. His job is to lead Sophie to a remote village deep inside the rainforest- her fathers last known location. Still, the jungle is a dangerous place and Jack does everything in his power to protect Sophie, but who will protect his heart?

My Review
I had really been looking forward to reading this book for a while, because of the interesting synopsis and setting! I’m not going to lie, I also like the shoes;)

So, first off I want to tell you how awesome the setting is. Costa Rica sounds beautiful! The author did an amazing job describing things realistically, making Costa Rica really come to life and burst with full colors and explosive (figuratively speaking, of course) plants and animals! I enjoyed the journeys in the jungle and the native people they met along the way, and Hector the other guide was funny and very welcoming of Sophie! (Don’t worry I’ll get to Jack!)

Which brings me to Sophie - a pediatrician who is searching for her father. I liked Sophie, she was realistic and relatable. She was strong in her faith, witty, and super optimistic - a bright ray of sunshine through the small slits between tree leaves! The only thing that got on my nerves at times was that she had so much trouble breaking things off with her “boyfriend,” who obviously wasn’t right for her (and she knew it).

Jack… brooding, witty, protective, handsome Jack! He had some issues to work through, his relationship with God was up in the air, and he was super irritable at the beginning. Then Sophie starts to break through the ice, and their attraction finally gets to him and they can’t ignore each other any longer! Sophie was very patient with him, and very understanding, she had just the right touch for getting through his thick, slightly arrogant head! And oh, the witty banter that ensued between the two! Seriously I laughed and giggled - it was great! Their attraction was palpable!

What didn’t I love about this novel? Well, there were some situations when circumstances could have been eased and conflicts avoided had they been more open and honest, and played more onto their relationship instead of focusing so much on the attraction. Don’t get me wrong - the attraction was great and I didn’t want it to be different -  it’s just that some conflict could have been avoided if they had been more open and completely honest with each other.

There was plenty of action, some mystery, adventure, beautiful morals, interesting and relatable characters, clean sweet romance, and laugh out loud moments. I think you’ll enjoy it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments! I will reply to all comments that make a reply form in my mind, so if you have a question, comment, or something to say, feel free to do so!