Friday, January 9, 2015

The Ex Games by Jennifer Echols

The Ex Games

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Goodreads Summary
Brace yourself for the battle of the exes...

Hayden and Nick used to be a hot item, but their brief affair ended with a highly publicized breakup. Now the two are "just friends," excluding the occasional flirtation.

When Hayden wins the girls' division of a local snowboarding competition, Nick is unimpressed, claiming that Hayden wouldn't have a chance against a guy. Hayden calls Nick's bluff and challenges him to a head-to-head boarding contest. Their mutual friends quickly take sides, the girls on Hayden's and the boys on Nick's, making for an all-out battle of the sexes. This friendly competition is bound to get heated—and they might end up igniting some old flames.

My Review
I liked parts of this book, there were definitely laugh out loud moments and some sweet, cute moments, but there were also some things that I found annoying.

When I get down to it, Hayden and Nick were perfect couple material. They definitely had wit, banter, and sarcasm down pat, the Sparks were certainly there, and they had history. Hayden and Nick had liked each other the whole time they were broken up! Now, here I wonder, "Why didn't they talk sooner!" Was it a pride thing for him, and a used and "the whole relationship was just because of a bet," feeling for her, because if so he has no excuse for not telling her the truth about his real feelings! It would have solved so much!

So, while I really enjoyed all of their bantering, their arguing and getting along then not getting along was really kind of annoying to me. I mean, just get it all out, and trust a little already!

I really enjoyed the snowboarding aspect! While I don't snowboard or anything, I really liked learning about it in this book. There was also some depth to this book with Hayden's fear of heights, and Nick's family issues. I thought that the fear of heights was well played out, but at times a little overkill on it.

The whole battle between the exes turning into a battle between the sexes was interesting. It was a huge barrier between Hayden and Nick though, which was probably the point, but still.

There was also a lot of romance. While I like a good romance, I like it to be clean. This was mostly clean, though there was one scene, in a sauna, that was a bit awkward (but kind of funny (probably mostly because I can't imagine acting anything like that). I would have preferred this book to be a little cleaner, or at least they shouldn't have such an off and on relationship if they're going to be like that.

Overall, The Ex Games is an okay read if your looking for a romantic comedy and something wintery. It's funny and cute at times, and full of fun snowboarding, but it definitely isn't a top choice of mine.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments! I will reply to all comments that make a reply form in my mind, so if you have a question, comment, or something to say, feel free to do so!